1. Verily! We have sent it (this Quran) down in the night of Al-Qadr (Decree)
2. And what will make you know what the night of Al-Qadr (Decree) is?
3. The night of Al-Qadr (Decree) is better than a thousand months (i.e. worshipping Allah in that night is better than worshipping Him a thousand months, i.e. 83 years and 4 months).
4. Therein descend the angels and the Rûh [Jibril (Gabriel)] by Allah’s Permission with all Decrees,
5. Peace! (All that night, there is Peace and Goodness from Allah to His believing slaves) until the appearance of dawn.
This Sura was revealed in early Makkan period. It tersely and mystically describes the start of the revelation of the Glorious Quran. The night of its revelation is given the grand title of ‘the night of destiny’. So blessed was this night that the Lord says it is better than 1000 months. It carries divine blessings; the merit of worshipping this one night is multiplied 60,000 times. Why this showering of Divine blessings? The ulama say it is to honour the revelation of the Quran. For this ‘night of destiny’ was the receptacle of Quran, it was the night that marked the start of Divine guidance – it means the ‘night of power’. Since the Divine words revealed that night have the awesome power to change destinies.
The meaning of the revelation of the Quran is its revelation from the Divine tablet (lauh mahfuz) to the station in the sky. From here Jibril bought it piecemeal to the blessed prophet (saws) over period of twenty three years.
The Sura mentions three special features of this most blessed night:
(1) The reward of worship during this night is multiplied some 60,000 times. It is mentioned in Hadith that the prophet (saws) heard of a devotee of previous community who made Jihad for 1000 months. The prophet wished his followers could do the same. This Sura was revealed to fulfil his earnest wish.
(2) The angels lead by Jibril visit the people on earth.
(3) They bring greetings of peace, solace and security.
When is this wonderful night? The majority of the ulama say it’s the 27th of Ramadhan whilst others say it is to be searched in the 21st, 23rd, 25th, 27th and 29th of Ramadhan.