Ramadan is the month of the Quran, fasting and devotion. Another main activity of the blessed month is giving to charity. It’s the busiest time for Muslim charities. Most people give their Zakat and general donations for good causes in this month since its reward increases 70 times. So, what methods does the Quran and Sunnah teach us for funding the preaching and the teaching of Islam. Here I guide you to give charity, and how to become an ambassador, champion or promoter of the Quran.
The excellence of spending in Allah’s way
There are numerous verses in The Majestic Quran and ahadith that praise and encourage us to be generous, below are a few:
“Believers, spend your wealth in Allah’s way before that day arrives when there will be neither friendship nor intercession” (Baqarah: 254).
“The example of those who spend their wealth for the work of Allah is like a seed which grows seven ears each carrying a hundred seeds. Allah gives abundantly to whom he wills” (Baqarah: 261).
The Messenger (peace be upon him) said: “Protect yourself from the Hellfire with as little as giving a date” (Bukhari).
The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “Fasting is protection from evil, charity extinguishes sins like the water extinguishes fire” (Bukhari).
In another hadith, the Messenger (peace be upon him) said: “Seven people will be given the shade of Allah’s Throne when there will be no other shade. One of them will be the one who gives secretly in charity” (Bukhari).
Abu Hurairah reported the Messenger (peace be upon him) said: “When you give in charity your wealth doesn’t decrease…” (Bukhari).
Spending in Allah’s way shows three things about you
- You sincerely believe in Allah as the creator and the owner of all the wealth, He is the Provider.
- Spending in Allah’s way is really for your good. You benefit from it. When you give in charity it strengthens your faith in Allah and improves relationships with fellow humans, the beneficiaries.
- By donating to Allah’s cause, you’re honouring the Almighty. By spending a portion of His provision, time, talents, and treasures you possess, you are honouring Him. You are giving thanks.
How much should we give?
Well, Zakat is the minimum amount of charity that is compulsory; it is 2.5% of your annual savings. However, we should give much more than that. Today there is an urgent need to spread Islam’s message of love, peace and justice. The Prophet’s (peace be upon him) golden guidance is indispensable for our young people. The need for moral development and spiritual enrichment is direly needed. Without this future generations will be absorbed by the consumerist society that we live in. The Quran reminds us ‘who amongst you will give a loan to Allah?’
What’s a good project to support?
Our Motivate a Million project should definitely be on your list of projects to support. You may ask why, here are 5 reasons why you should support the free distribution of the Quran:
- It’s the gift that brings you closer to Allah – our goal in life! All the world’s wealth will not satisfy our desires for worldly riches, but the Quran will guide you to riches beyond imagination.
- It’s the gift that gives back – so when you learn the Quran and benefit, you will gain an understanding of the spiritual realities, and develop strong character. Reading the Quran will fill your mind with wisdom that will benefit you now and in the Hereafter.
- It’s the perfect expression of Love – you would only give the words of Allah to the one you want to be with in paradise. The one you care about and the one you want to be guided.
- It’s the book of guidance – by gifting the Quran to someone, you are providing them with an opportunity for self-reflection and growth.
- Life’s too short – we will pass away one day, but your gift of the Quran will continue to remain a source of guidance for so many years after you.
Financing Allah’s work during Ramadan is a great way to earn blessings and rewards. The holy month of Ramadan is a time of generosity and blessings, and financing Allah’s work is a great way to fulfil one’s obligation towards the community and earn the pleasure of Allah.